Having continuous health insurance coverage is important. To determine if you need summer health coverage, it is important to know when your current coverage starts and when it ends. Graduate students have health insurance from a variety of sources, so please check with your provider to learn exactly when your plan will end.
If you find that you need coverage for the summer, you can choose to enroll in any plan. To be eligible for a Student Health Insurance Plan for Summer only, graduate students must be enrolled in at least one credit over the summer. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to enroll in SHIP using a Qualifying Event process. To learn more about enrolling in SHIP for the summer, please go to umdgrad.myahpcare.com/enrollment.
More Details: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)...
If you have coverage through SHIP, please take note of when you coverage period ends. At the end of your coverage period, you must actively take steps to enroll (or re-enroll) in a plan in order to maintain continuous coverage.
- If your SHIP plan ends on July 31, 2022, and you choose to enroll in SHIP again for the next academic year (AY 22-23), the new plan will begin August 1, 2022. This means you will have continous coverage for summer 2022.
- If you are a current student and currently have SHIP coverage through July 31, 2022, you may be eligible to extend your coverage for just the month of August using the SHIP Graduate Student Bridge Plan. The Bridge Plan is specifically designed for students who are graduating in August or who will be transitioning to the new plan by Sept 1. Please contact Robyn Kotzker at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you are eligible and for more information.
- If you are not a current student and/or if you are not currently on SHIP, unfortunately you are not eligible for the SHIP Bridge Plan. Another resource to find a short-term plan is ehealthinsurance.com. This site will ask a few questions and provide you with plan options. It does not require your name or email or phone number. Any site that requires your personal information is not recommended.
- Please refer to Academic HealthPlans (AHP) website to learn more about SHIP.
More Details: State of Maryland Employee Insurance Plan (option for Graduate Assistants only):
If you have coverage though a State of Maryland Employee Health Insurance plan, your coverage will end when your assistantship ends.
- If the assistantship continues from one academic year to the next, (Spring 22 to Fall 22), the State of Maryland health insurance coverage will continue uninterrupted through the summer.
- If the assistantship ends in Spring 22 and you are not reappointed in Fall 22 with an assistantship, then your insurance plan will terminate on the last day of the month that your assistantship ended (if the last day of a GAship is June 3, then insurance will continue through June 30). This means that you will not have summer coverage. A resource to find a short-term plan is ehealthinsurance.com. This site will ask a few questions and provide you with plan options. It does not require your name or email or phone number. Any site that requires your personal information is not recommended.
- Please consult with your department's business office about your graduate assistantship status, start dates, and end dates.
- Please refer Univeristy Human Resources (UHR) benefits page for questions about the state of Maryland Employee Health Plans.