Having continuous health insurance coverage is important. To determine if you need summer health coverage, it is important to know when your current coverage starts and when it ends. Graduate students have health insurance from a variety of sources, so please check with your provider to learn exactly when your plan will end.
If you find that you need coverage for the summer, you can choose to enroll in any plan. To be eligible for a Student Health Insurance Plan for Summer only, graduate students must be enrolled in at least one credit over the summer. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to enroll in SHIP using a Qualifying Event process. To learn more about enrolling in SHIP for the summer, please go to umdgrad.myahpcare.com/enrollment.
More Details: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)...
If you have coverage through SHIP, please take note of when you coverage period ends. At the end of your coverage period, you must actively take steps to enroll (or re-enroll) in a plan in order to maintain continuous coverage.
- If your SHIP plan ends on July 31, 2023, and you choose to enroll in SHIP again for the next academic year (AY 23-24), the new plan will begin August 1, 2023. This means you will have continuous coverage for summer 2023.
- The SHIP Bridge Plan: Current students who have SHIP coverage through July 31, 2023, and need to extend insurance coverage for just the month of August can enroll in the SHIP Graduate Student Insurance Bridge Plan. The Bridge Plan is specifically designed for students who are graduating in August or who will be transitioning to the new plan by Sept 1. To enroll in the Bridge Plan, go to https://umd.myahpcare.com/enrollment and click on "student groups eligible for Voluntary Enrollment" The first option in that section is the Graduate Student Insurance Bridge.
- If you are not a current student and/or if you are not currently on SHIP, unfortunately you are not eligible for the SHIP Bridge Plan.
More Details: State of Maryland Employee Insurance Plan (option for Graduate Assistants only):
If you have coverage though a State of Maryland Employee Health Insurance plan, your coverage will end when your assistantship ends.
- If the assistantship continues from one academic year to the next, (Spring 23 to Fall 23), the State of Maryland health insurance coverage will continue uninterrupted through the summer.
- If the assistantship ends in Spring 23 and you are not reappointed in Fall 23 with an assistantship, then your insurance plan will terminate on the last day of the month that your assistantship ended (if the last day of a GAship is June 3, then insurance will continue through June 30). This means that you will not have summer coverage. Please go to the Health Insurance Resource tab to view some ways to search for insurance plans.
- Please consult with your department's business office about your graduate assistantship status, start dates, and end dates.
- Refer Univeristy Human Resources (UHR) benefits page for questions about the state of Maryland Employee Health Plans.
- Refer to the Academic HealthPlans website for questions about the Student Health Insurance Plan