|General Requirements:||Statement of Purpose*|
|TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)|
|Program-Specific Requirements:||Letters of Recommendation (3)|
|Graduate Record Examination (GRE)|
|Application Deadlines:||December 15 (Fall domestic/international) (best consideration)|
|April 17 (Fall domestic)|
|March 15 (Fall international)|
|Diversity Statement:||The College of Information Studies is committed to
supporting students and ensuring a fear-free, inclusive
space where all students can thrive. The department
recognizes non-binary gender identifications, as well as
the difference between assigned biological sex and
gender expression. It encourages students, faculty
and staff to share and honor preferred pronouns
*The Ph.D. in Information Studies program (INFS) offers students opportunities to develop research-oriented careers in the field of Information Studies. To ensure that the program is a good fit for your background, interests, and abilities, it is important for us to have a good understanding of your goals and how you see those fitting with the activities you will be doing if accepted to this program. To help us assess this aspect of your application, please provide one personal statement of no more than 1,500 words in response to the following questions (uploaded to the Statement of Purpose within the application):
1. What is the specific area of your research interest? How have you developed your interest in this area?
2. What skills and/or prior experience that you have can help you pursue your interest?
3. Which faculty members at Maryland's iSchool would you be interested in working closely with, and why?
4. What are the goals you would like to achieve in your doctoral study at Maryland's iSchool? What is your plan to achieve your goals?
5. What kind of career would you like to develop after earning your Ph.D.?