Graduate School/University Career Center Partnership Career Resources for Doctoral Alumni
As a UMD alumnus/a you may need assistance in identifying the next steps to follow in your career search. Review the resources below to help guide you.
- Connect with UMD alumni through Terrapins Connect, UMD-DOCNET, the group of doctoral/postdoctoral alumni, and LinkedIn
- Access professional develoment programming through the Alumni Association
- Sign-up for My Career Expert, a special, free resource for UMD alumni. Here you can tune in to weekly, live webinars which feature Q & A; visit their library of past webinars and articles and receive a bi-weekly, short motivational email that will inform you of upcoming webinars.
- Sign up for the Alumni Career Design Fellowship, a 30 day online career development program.
- Use free and fee-based online career resources:
- Contact the University of Maryland Counseling Center. For $125, alumni can receive up to five sessions, inlcuding intake and career assessment. For more information go to the Counseling Center website or call 301.314.7651.
- Visit your local One-Stop Career Center. Each county in Maryland, as well as other states, has a center dedicated to local residents.
- Visit the Professional Outplacement Assistance Center in Laurel, Maryland, if you are from Maryland. They serve the entire state of Maryland and host a free 2-day workshop (JumpStart) which provides invaluable assistance in the full process.
There is a plethora of information on line about career planning, exploring career options, career pivoting and conducting an effective job search. Additionally, there are a number of books that are particularly helpful including:
- So What Are You Going to Do With That?: A Guide for M.A.'s and Ph.D's
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2020: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
- Leaving Academia: A Practical Guide
- The 2-Hour Job Search, Second Edition: Using Technology to Get the Right Job Faster
If you are within one year of graduation, you are treated as if you are still a student. You can attend and participate in nearly most programs and services - except Aurora and in-person Career Shuttles. You may also choose to meet briefly with Dr. Susan Martin. Log into Careers4Terps to schedule an appointment. If you are an alumnus/a from the A. James Clark School of Engineering, the Robert H. Smith School of Business or the School of Public Policy you should contact their career offices directly.
A. James Clark School of Engineering
Veronica Perrigan | firstname.lastname@example.org | 301.405.3863
Robert H. Smith School of Business
Jeanne Fineran | email@example.com | 301.405.8648
School of Public Policy
Bryan Kempton | firstname.lastname@example.org | 301.405.4845
If you graduated more than one year ago, you can schedule a single 30-minute appointment to provide guidance on next steps with Dr. Susan Martin. To do so, log into Careers4Terps schedule an appointment. If you are an alumnus/a from the A. James Clark School of Engineering, the Robert H. Smith School of Business or the School of Public Policy you should contact their career offices directly.