You are here

Health Insurance Policy & Compliance

As of Fall 2020, all students enrolled full-time in a master’s or doctoral program at the University of Maryland, College Park campus must have health insurance coverage. Full-time students are those who are enrolled for at least 48 units for the semester or 36 units for a 12-week term. Part-time students, non-degree-seeking students, students enrolled in certificate programs, exclusively online programs, and/or programs at the Shady Grove campus are encouraged but not required to have health insurance, unless the student's immigration status requires insurance. 

Please view the full policy in the Graduate Catalog.

To comply with this policy, please select one of the options below:

  • Enroll in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) (available to all students).  SHIP Open Enrollment occurs three times during the year.  When Open Enrollment is closed, only students with a qualifying event can enroll. Open Enrollment dates and qualifying event information can be found on the Academic HealthPlans (AHP) website at students who enroll in SHIP, the Graduate School will receive a report. Students do not need to notify us.)

  • Enroll in the State of Maryland Employee Health Plan (available to graduate assistants (GAs) only).  GAs have 60 days from the start of the assistantship to opt into a State plan.  To enroll in the Maryland State Employee Health plan, please consult with your department's business office or visit the University’s Human Resources benefits web page at  (For students who enroll in a State of Maryland Employee Insurance Plan, the Graduate School will receive a report. Students do not need to notify us).

  • Report your external health insurance plan to the Graduate School.  Students can enroll in a health plan from any source. Students who enroll in a plan external to UMD (not SHIP and not a state plan) are asked to complete the External Health Insurance Reporting Form on the AHP website.

Contact Information

The Graduate School, University of Maryland

2123 Lee Building
7809 Regents Drive
College Park, MD 20742