Apply to Be a Fellow
The Graduate School Writing Center is currently accepting applications, nominations, and recommendations for Writing and Oral Communication Fellows. To be considered for Fall 2021 (and beyond), please submit an application by May 3, 2021
Are you the person your classmates always seek out to read a draft or provide feedback on a paper or a presentation? Then consider applying to be a Writing or Oral Communication Fellow in the Graduate School Writing Center. Fellows are a select group of graduate students who have a solid foundation of academic communication in their disciplines and an aptitude for peer support. Past experience with writing centers, oral communication support, peer review, or other student support is desirable but not required. Fellows are trained and work two-four hours a week during the semester and are compensated for their time.
Writing and Oral Communication Fellows:
- Commit to work one-on-one with graduate students for one or two appointments a week (each one hour appointment also includes one hour of preparation time).
- Facilitate workshops, weekly write-ins, and small groups with the program director.
- Are personable and supportive.
- Meet once a month with other fellows and the program director for training and support.
- Select and develop a communication-in-the-disciplines project over the course of the semester.
Writing and Oral Communication Fellows are highly valued by the Graduate School and by their departments. Selection as a fellow indicates exceptional performance in a student’s field and notable potential as a future faculty member and/or practicing professional.