Manage Your Career
Preparing for your future career should be a priority from the very beginning of your graduate program. Get ready by identifying and articulating the skills, strengths, expertise, and experiences you will need to fulfill your career goals and be the active manager of your own future.
Examples of how to meet this pathway:
- Review the website for your primary career center annually. Attend career related events and workshops regularly during every year of your program.
- Have a plan. Create an IDP (Individual Development Plan) or a plan through Imagine PhD that includes academic and professional development goals for each year of your program.
- Leverage alumni. Schedule informational interviews to explore career options with alumni through Terrapins Connect
- Doctoral Students should intentionally build skills and gain experience at all stages of their training. Those preparing for an academic career should also have a Plan B.
- Review and use the available services and resources at every year of your studies.
- Register for and use Doctoral Career Navigator modules to increase your knowledge about popular career development and job search topics.
- Log into Aurora and explore the information about preparing for professional and/or academic careers.